About Me

My photo
Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada
My virtue is that I say what I think, my vice that what I think doesn't amount to much.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Henry Darger left a legacy of brilliant if disturbing art


Henry Darger  was a reclusive loner who worked as a janitor at a Christian hospital in Chicago from 1908 until his retirement in 1963. He was also an artist and writer whose entire oeuvre was discovered posthumously. From 1930 until his death in 1973 he resided in a room on the second floor near Lincoln Park. His landlord was Nathan Lerner, a Chicago photographer. When Darger died, Lerner ventured into his room to clear the space for future tenants and was surprised to discover things he didn’t expect to find in the old loner’s room, including several manuscripts, each thousands of pages long.

More here

No comments: